Sunday, June 9, 2013

black sesame rice paper

I was browsing the Asian grocery stall at the Mawson shops and came across a suspicious looking product. They were like Vietnamese rice paper rolls with black sesame seeds. I'm a huge fan of Asian black sesame dishes so I thought I'd give this a try. Each pack was around $3 and came with 3 sheets - half the quantity of packets of normal rice paper rolls. I prepared them like rice paper rolls by dipping the sheet in very hot water and rolling them up. I was quite intrigued by the texture:

Each sheet was quite thick, became a bit slimy and was very hard to roll up. They were also quite tough and chewy to eat. I soaked the sheets for a bit longer, but even after 10 minutes, they were unpalatable. Makes an interesting looking dish though! Like ants or sea animals swimming?
After some googling, I realised the rice paper was meant to be warmed up in the microwave or in oil, allowing the rice paper to fluff up like a prawn cracker. Whoops and cool! I served them like sang choy bow, using the rice paper as a bowl for marinated veges. Fun and crunchy!

10 comments:

  1. Awesome! Thank you for posting this! I bought some today thinking I could make spring rolls with them as well and it didn't work out as you know....so Google brought me here and I'm happy to know what you're actually supposed to so with them now! Can't wait to try it out.😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thank you for posting this! I bought some today thinking I could make spring rolls with them as well and it didn't work out as you know....so Google brought me here and I'm happy to know what you're actually supposed to so with them now! Can't wait to try it out.😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same thing !! Found them in the supermarket & thought I'd give them a go ... Tried soaking them & figured that was going to take hours. Google to the rescue !! A few minutes & a microwave later I'm stoked - so easy & so many applications. These will be a regular on the shopping list now 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha thank you so much for this. I made the same mistake, I soaked them, got slimy, ate them, tasted quite ok.... but not what I expected.. fried they look amazing! haha. Happy I've found your post. Want to check out my blog? http://www.pisangsusu.com
    I blog about Indonesian food a lot. Warm regards, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like this website just used your text... http://tapiocavietnam.com/news/black-sesame-rice-paper/115.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes - in speciality asian shops

      Delete
  7. Thanx for posting this has it was a little confusing if they were just like normal ricepaper or not ;) definitely will try fried

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you!! We love sesame seeds and spring rolls, so bought Caravelle black sesame seed Spring Roll Skin at a local Asian store. But, we've been soaking it all day and it is still tough! I can't find anything until your post, on google.
    We'll try frying, they look good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...