Sunday, August 28, 2011

being a tourist in sydney

It's not everyday that people from overseas visit you. I made some really lovely friends when I was doing student exchange in the UK and travelling in the USA. However, Australia is so far away from where they live so, realistically, I imagine that they’d come here if they had a good portion of time and enough money.

When one of my friends from the USA told me that he is visiting Australia, I was very excited! I decided to meet him in Sydney – it was the perfect opportunity to visit iconic and touristy restaurants/takeaways.

Löwenbräu Keller
First, we went to Löwenbräu. I know tourists probably don’t expect to come all the way to Australia to have German food. But we were exploring The Rocks and it was one of the few places that I knew and didn’t entirely rip you off. I had a mushroom pizza – the (german) difference is that it’s on a thin and light pastry, rather than a hearty dough. Although I usually avoid eating pastry due to my cholesterol levels, this wasn’t too bad. The pastry was less buttery than puff pastry but more dense and stable than filo pastry. I loved how the pizza came out on a chopping board and baking paper – it gave it a homely and country aesthetic.

My friend got the Nürnberger Würste, which had 6 traditional Nürnberger sausages, served with Sauerkraut, Mashed Potatoes and German Mustard at $26.50. According to Wikipedia, this pork-based sausage is one of the most popular in Germany. As I’m not a huge fan of meat sausages, I thought the Nürnberger sausages were okay. They weren’t as heavy as Australian sausages, which was nice. But they weren’t as flavoursome and hearty as the ones I had in Germany. Is food always better from where it originated? Or do I subconsciously think that ‘authenticity’ makes something better?

Löwenbräu Keller
Corner of Playfair & Argyle Streets
The Rocks
Sydney

Sydney Fish Market
I googled the walking route from Darling Harbour but we mindlessly tripped down an incorrect road and took a 30 minute detour. Whoops. As always, the Fish Market didn’t fail to impress me with its fresh seafood, people who prepared sashimi in front of you and the number of Asian tourists. I paid around 7.50 for around 10cm of sashimi and it filled me up for the whole afternoon – was thoroughly satisfied.

While there was fine and delicate sashimi, there seemed to be overwhelming masses of other stuff. One bain-marie had galores of deep fried stuff (ew or yum?). Also the fresh fish store had a large portion of king fish with a carving knife - this scared me because a) the king fish was huge and looked like it'd be half my body weight; b) it was confronting to see meat like this. I'm going to take a mini break from eating it.

Sydney Fish Market
Bank Street
Pyrmont
Sydney


Pie Face
Over the few days of my friend’s visit, we walked past Pie Face way too many times. I’ve never been game enough to go to this fast food joint but I got down my high horse and finally did it. I got the minestrone soup – it was okay. It was clearly thickened with cornflour or a similar thickening agent. But I love the idea of take away soup – it reminds me of the great takeaway joints in NYC which had a menu of 20+ gourmet soups.

He got the Steak and Cheese pie, which was decent. There was a good portion of what seemed like real meat and the pie didn’t just taste like lard. It would definitely be good for a snack out in the town when you are a bit tipsy or drunk.

1 comment:

  1. I tried to find authentic German food in Berlin and failed! All we could see were curryworst stands on the side of the street... Maybe Lowenbrau is one of the few places left to eat German food??
    Xx jk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...