Monday, February 6, 2012

Newtown festival

One of my favourite places to be in the world is the Inner-West of Sydney with my friends. Last year was the first time I didn’t feel an impending doom of due dates of uni assignments – it was the first time I went to the Newtown Festival.

The festival was in Newtown Park – it was filled with organic food stalls, eclectic clothing and accessories, everything indie/rock/hippie. It was buzzing and a breath of fresh creative air away from Canberra.
I got a mixed plate of food from the Govindas food stall – Govindas is a fantastic Indian vegetarian buffet near Kings Cross (Sydney) and has amazing healthy food. It’s one of my favourite places to eat in Sydney and one I repeatedly visit.
I also bought a raw energy food bar, which contained veges, herbs, carob and lots of other things. It looked disgusting (like compacted cow manure), but it was strangely delicious, wholesome, didn’t taste foul or green at all and gave me a great energy boost.

On the lines of environmentally-friendly, anti-corporate food, I just watched Food Inc, a doco which seeks to expose the origins of mass produced and unethical food sold in fast food lines, local supermarkets etc. The doco suggested that consumers ‘vote’ in the food industry by using their buying power to purchase certain types of food. I know I would vote buy preferring vegetarian, organic and macro food. However, is one person’s effort enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...