Sunday, December 18, 2011

La Dolce Vita

One of my favourite things in the world is catching up with a friend or two, over dinner, with a couple of glasses of wine. I love the social side of it – debriefing each other on the day/week that has gone past, talking about what’s in store for the next week, sometimes gossiping, then when the alcohol has kicked in, talking about shit (more than the usual).

Oh yes, and I also love the food aspect – such as warning my friend(s) that I am armed with a camera and seeing them laugh, sharing the food, praising or critiquing it, the wait for food. I love dining in restaurants so I can watch other customers’ faces brighten up or darken when they take the first bite of their food and how the waiting staff addresses tables throughout the night.

It was my friend’s last weekend in Canberra so we had our final ‘proper’ dinner in La Dolce Vita in Kingston. Every time I walk past this little restaurant, it is packed with bubbling people so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

The waiting staff were appropriately polite, decent and friendly. We ordered two wood-fired pizzas – I can’t exactly remember what they were, but one had chicken and the other ham. The bases were crispy thin but cut well with a knife. As you can see in the pictures, the crust was a bit burnt. The toppings were nice – thin but flavoursome and not too salty. Probably not the best pizzas I’ve had in Canberra, maybe because I’m used to eating vegetarian food. But there’s little that I could complain about.
p.s. At the beginning of the grad year, I promised myself that I would try the ever-so-expensive Moet and Chandon champagne. I would definitely have it again. It wasn’t overly sweet, but sophisticated, delicate, fruity and balanced.

La Dolce Vita
34 Giles StreetKingston

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...